Monday, February 14, 2011

Pop my Culture

I think that Pop Culture are things that most people shared in common. I think it is hard for me to explain, but basically things that most people like. It can be from movies, to celebrities to ideals, for example being thin. Most of the readings assigned for this week were in reference to icons. I understood that icons were things that are easy to recognized. Some of them are symbols like the bathroom signs. These are, or at least, should be, easy to understand. The advertisement for Mercedes-Benz made me think a lot of about pop culture. Most of these symbols are part of that culture. A light bulb is a light bulb, but in Pop Culture is common knowledge that it mean an idea or epiphany. We are encountered by these symbols in our everyday lives. That is how Pop Culture brings us together. It’s common ground. It allows us to make sense of our experiences because with this symbols or icons were are able to communicate. Texting or even letters on a paper are part of these.
Now that we have established that Pop Culture is, I can say, that in my opinion, it really brings people together. It helps us to get closer as a community. At least, the community that is involved in it has that common ground. As an artist, I think it is important for me to be informed about Pop Culture, because there is something I want to communicate. It is easier for people to understand if I use things they are familiar with. Moving on, I loved all the readings about heroes. Heroes are so easy to identify. And, going back to the reading, the way pop culture informs my art is by letting me know what people like, what they want, and how I can communicate that to them. I like pop culture. It is so interesting, but to be honest I get annoyed by it easily. I can only handle it for a little bit. I like Robert Pattison, actually just his looks. The point is that I researched him online. It was a little fun at the beginning. Then, it just got on my nerves. I felt that I was back in High School. That is the downside of pop culture.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet thoughts Mariana! I really liked your notion of how Pop Culture is a way of bringing people together. This made me think of times where I met someone for the first time and had no idea how to connect this person. Talking about what is going on in Pop Culture is a easy way to break the ice with a new person. I also agree with you about how icons are an easy way to convey a lot of meaning real fast.
    -Jeremy

    ReplyDelete