Monday, February 14, 2011

Enduring symbols

As I was flipping through this chapter, deciding what to write on, I saw the Mercedez-Benz ad. In psychology I learned how the mind connects different meanings, emotions, and events to symbols. While looking at the picture I was reminded of the meanings behind each symbol. Take the drawing of the atom, on seeing it, it is a reminder to me of my old high school. We were the Midland High Chemics and ours was the atomic symbol. So upon seeing it, I instantly connected it to my childhood and recollections of my high school days. Then there are also symbols that American culture connects too, like the statue of liberty, the American flag, or the bald eagle. I find it interesting how different cultures can perceive symbols in different ways. The victory sign has a very different meaning when used in the United States of America than it does in Australia, or the United Kingdom, it is interesting how the different cultures can make the same symbol have a different meaning.

I guess that it is similar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the cross. Most Christian denominations use the cross to represents the tragedy of our Savior Jesus Christ’s death. But that same symbol takes on a very different meaning in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. To us, it is a reminder of the atonement, of the sins and wickedness, but also of the renewal of life and repentance. LDS church leaders have commented on how the symbol of the cross does not define our church, Gordon B. Hinckley said that the symbol of church is the lives of its members.

I guess that in the end, I came to the conclusion that a symbol can be anything from a logo, painting, flag, or even a person, the point is not what the object is, but what the object invites us to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment