Monday, February 7, 2011

Differences...celebrate them.

The reading was really relateable to me in terms that I pretty much grew up with many different examples of differences on a personal level. Like in The Story of My Body, I could really connect with it because I also am a Latina that grew up in the U.S. I had to find out at an early age that yes, there was something that didn't quite fit in with the rest of the crowd. Like I think I mentioned earlier in my last post that I sometimes would feel that I would be too Americanized to hang with the Hispanic kids and too deeply rooted in Hispanic ideals (like inter-dependence and the value of family time) for the fast-paced and competition-driven American society. I went to school with over 90% of the kids being white. So it was kind of a similar experience to what Ortiz had to go through. Now while I was reading I came across these question...is there really such a thing as difference? What then is the thing that we are suppose to compare to when it comes to defining "different"? In the introduction of Chapter 5 it said something really true...that usually when we are looking at a different race in the U.S. we look to the white race as being one that is to be imitated or to be able to fit in with that group of people rather than another in order to be accepted in this society. It has some truth, but it is sad to just think that. I think that there needs to be a need of celebrating cultures now that we are in a new era where most people in this country are from so many different backgrounds that we cannot even imagine. I think difference is what makes things uniquely special in its own right. Now concerning making work that can be true to ourselves but at the same time respecting others....I think this is a difficult question... mainly because, I think in terms of different opinions or different views when it comes to difference whether in gender, race, religion, etc.... we can't really go at it without offending the other view if they feel deeply about that. Usually, if it is a person that had a different experience growing up than you did. You can't really make something, in film or in any art form, that is something everyone can agree on or that it seems favorable in their eyes. That is what makes everyone different, and that is fine, or else this world would be a really boring place, and everyone would not have anything interesting to say.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, I love what you said about "different". Your thoughts are so insightful and have helped voice things that i've been mulling over recently. It is difficult to appreciate "different" without the fear of offending; but, just as you said, the "different" makes life fun and exciting and beautiful. I've often wished that people could just be seen as people, I wouldn't have to stop and think before I talk to people, feeling the weight of the atrocities my "race" has committed, being too afraid of saying something wrong. While it would be wonderful if people were just people, the erasing of culture and "differences" would be a terrible loss, life would not be so delicious with diversity. (I hope this makes some sense...) Perhaps if we'd been more responsible, kind and open in the beginning we would be better off as people in general, but maybe we would've missed out on some important lessons too. I'm kind of speaking in circles here, sorry about that, but I think your thoughts on these readings are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, great comments. I didn't specify in my post, but I grew up similar to you, in that probably 90% of my high school was Asian.

    As to your thoughts on the impossibility of truly representing a group, I would have to disagree. So much depends on the spirit of the representation.

    If something is not done maliciously and is created so as to specifcally avoid any misrepresentation, then I think it is highly unlikely that someone would find fault. People recognize sincerity when it is offered. We must be lovingly, consciencously sincere in our representations of other groups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea of achieving whiteness (so to speak)is really intriguing to me. I grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico where there is a large Hispanic population. In fact, the University of New Mexico, which I attended my senior year, is 80% Hispanic. By numbers, they are the majority, yet this same fight against what I think is the lingering memory of white supremacy still makes Caucasians the point of reference. I occasionally like to go to a part of the city where there are almost no white people--a place where "gringa" is said among people as I walk down the street, because in this place I truly become a minority. I am the one that needs to assimilate. I am the one whose customs and culture are strange. Perhaps if this role reversal became more universal--and people allowed themselves to be taught by it--there would be a change in the state of racial relations in this country.

    ReplyDelete