Saturday, February 5, 2011

Educate for respect.

I don’t think the reading’s main objective was to inform my understanding ‘of respect’ for difference. It inform me about what is difference and the kind of differences there are. The main three that were discussed were gender, race, and social class. There are many others. I was able to see the opinion of others which broaden my knowledge, but not so much my sense of respect. The introduction of the Examining Differences chapter taught me what race and ethnicity are. A Touchy Subject gave me great insights about social classes. I never thought that the way people react to this subject can tell you what social class they come from. I think that in this day and age the respect of differences come from education. People that don’t know much about others are the ones that tend to be prejudiced. I grew up around African-Americans. I respect them so much because I was able to learn their story from them. It’s all a matter of educating yourself. The reading educated me, so in that aspect I feel it help me my understanding of respect for difference.
The way we can make work that is personal, authentic, and true to ourselves that also respects others is education once again, experiencing others differences as much as we can, and leaning the definition of respect. We must learn as much as we can about other people. No matter who they are. We may not agree with them. We may not even like them, but there is something that we can learn in everyone. In some cases, we should also go beyond learning to experiencing. What is a Indian wedding like? No what is like to see it, what is like to attend to want, or even help organize it. We would see it with different eyes. In this case, according to the dictionary, respect means to have due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of. That is beautiful. I think that if we consider these actions and the definition of respect every time we create art, then we can create things that are personal, authentic, and true to ourselves that also respect others.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! It is one thing to read about it rather than actually experiencing it first hand. That is mainly what makes it authentic and also true and respectful at the same time. I don't know why but the last Indiana Jones movie came to mind...when they were talking about the whole Nazca lines (from Peru) and how the aliens brought the skull or some weird story like that into the movie about these Peruvian landmarks, I found the movie having a great loss of credibility and less enjoyable. Actually, not the best of the Indiana Jones collection anyways. However, what I mean is that if we want to create something that is about a different culture than our own and we haven't experienced it in some way, we`ll be in trouble when it comes to presenting it. So yeah, I completely agree with you in that respect. :)

    ReplyDelete