Monday, February 14, 2011

Isn't it Iconic...

I never thought of bathroom logos as icons. But as I thought back to my dinner earlier this evening (I'm in California and had dinner in Downtown Disney) I remember as I made my way to the restrooms, labeled "Banos" with the accent mark, wondering to myself 'what will the actual men and women doors say?' and being highly disappointed with the standard "men" and "women" with the corresponding pictures. I thought that since they wanted to have a spanish theme and use the language to explain where the bathrooms were, they would also have the spanish words for "men" and "women" on the doors. But maybe they wanted to go with the more recognizable symbols plastered all over american bathrooms.
Now that I think about it, if the bathrooms had been labeled in a language I didn't understand, I would still be able to find them by the symbol on the door because it is a recognizable icon to me.
Being a superhero nerd, of course I would think of "Superman" as an icon. He represents hope and justice. He's the man of steel for crying out loud. But even though I am a nerd, before the reading I had no idea about the material used for the uniforms for the tv series and the movie. I just thought they used spandex for them all and left it at that. I loved learning the little details about different "icons" this week.
Speaking of details, it was interesting to read about "American Gothic". I always assumed the people in the painting were husband and wife, not sister and dentist. I liked learning all the littles facts about things like the button hole, how it used to be a rake instead of the pitchfork, etc.
Favorite reading was the comic strip "Life in Hell". It was hilarious but offensive at the same time. But it made me think of how "The Simpsons" are an icon to me. The fact that they're still making episodes years and years and seasons later says something to me about how creative the writers of the show are. And on that note, I think I may just watch an episode now.

1 comment:

  1. i think that's funny how bathroom signs all around the world generally look the same. i was about to say these icons create a more universal culture for the world, but i think it is just as true that we live in an increasingly 'western' culture.

    i really like the idea of icons. a lot of it is a sort of modern-day mythology. that was actually one of the original ideas behind comics and super-heroes, of which i am a big fan. but it is just as true with the simpsons, the iconic american family haha.

    ReplyDelete