Monday, March 21, 2011

Feedback, follies and Freakin awesome presentations

I absolutely loved what this reading talked about. It did wonders not only for my understanding of the whole feedback process but also helped me realize that a lot of the things I feel and experience when I’m looking for feedback are not unique! I thought I was kind of alone in my own little pretentious world as I shared my creations with others only to see them get broken down in a way that made me question them as well as myself. It sufficeth me to say that this reading assisted me in realizing that that’s a normal reaction and while it may be slightly pretentious, it at least isn’t as freakish and uncommon as I’d originally expected. As I read this, I felt like I gained a few valuable and useful insights as to how I could take criticism during my creative process in an effort to make my work much better and more agreeable to everybody who views it. A large part of it involves swallowing my pride, just as the article so clearly articulated. Once I’ve found a few people who can read, appreciate and constructively criticize my work, I feel like I can get the ball rolling on getting a great story. The problem is that I don’t feel like I have a network like that at this junction. So one of my goals is to get such a network. One of my mission companions is a very gifted writer and I’ve resolved to contact him within the next three days about exchanging work and giving one another feedback and constructive criticisms. That way, we’ll be motivated to help one another since we can’t expect good feedback if we aren’t willing to give good feedback. My mom is also a pretty good option I think, she’s an editor for a newspaper in Cincinnati and has never really held back on criticisms (in a loving way.) Plus, she loves me and I believe she wants to see me succeed. Once I get feedback from these people, the real challenge comes. I have to swallow my pride and implement the input they give me. I think one of the better goals I can set up for myself is that of actually using the criticism given to me. I could easily see myself brushing it off or reasoning that my critics just don’t understand what I was going for but what they think and have to say is in reality probably extremely legitimate and something to be taken seriously.

Richard- Dude, I freaking love being the person who critiques your work. You have a style that I really appreciate and I think that was reflected in your interview. Not only was it very professional and very well done but it was also fun, edgy and had a very definite Richard flare. Your pictures were great and helped us see the artist in a candid light and thriving in his element.

Lizz- First off, your orange boots are awesome. Also, beautiful slideshow, you showcased the sculptures beautifully and the pieces you decided to show are great examples of the artist’s thoughts about being a Mormon artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment