Saturday, March 19, 2011

Criticism... ugh!

It is so hard to take criticism. It is! I am very sensitive, and I hate feeling like a failure. It is human nature to think only about the moment at least for a little while. When someone tells us that our work is lacking something, we automatically forget about other good things we have made, or the good things in our project. Later, we are reminded, but until it so painful. On the other hand, I have learned that it is for the better. Even that criticism that is not for good can help you. It lets you know who really cares about your work, and what good criticism is. I felt that Annie was describing my feelings when she said that she first hates her critics (even if it is her love ones), but then she is grateful for them. I really liked the part where she talks about time. It is so true that we don't have time to waste thinking that we are not good enough. We have to have courage in everything we do.
My goals for eliciting and utilizing feedback on creatives projects are the following:
Always thank the person that is giving me criticism. He or she cares enough to do it, even if they don’t like it.
Actually record or try to remember what he or she said to review later. Maybe writing it.
Understand who this person is and how my work may have affected him or her. Someone may hate a great movie about smoking because she lost her father to lung cancer.
Review the criticism. Actually taking the time to look at it and think about it.
Analyze what area of my work is being cover by the criticism. Perhaps that person loved the cinematography but hated the story line.
Analyze how my intensions and the criticism differ. Taking time to see if the criticism disapproves what I intended for my work to be. If I wanted to convey a message but I didn’t put a lot of time in the music, then I can understand why they complain about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment