Monday, January 17, 2011

A Whole New World

This was a terrifically interesting reading assignment. I found the assignment itself almost to be an allegory of the subjects examined within. When I first realized how huge the chapters were, I was feeling fairly daunted. As I began to read, however, I found the experience to be enjoyable and full of pictures (yay).
I have never taken the time to enjoy the “in-between” parts of life. I think that as life continues to move faster, as technology continues to progress, as we grow up, time moves faster and faster and we continue to miss important experiences, sights, sounds, relationships, etc. that are right in front of us. This reading assignment reminded me of the scene from The Lion King when Simba, Timon and Pumbaa are all looking at the stars, and Timon says that the stars are fireflies that got stuck in “that sticky black stuff” (or something to that extent). His creative explanation reminded me that the “sticky black stuff” does in fact exist, and should not go unnoticed. How many times to I look at a lawn to be mowed, or a chore to be done, and forget to see the “sticky black stuff”, the individual pieces of grass and the dirt underneath, and the miracle of how it all fits together in a perfect self-sustaining “circle of life”?
I think it would be interesting to spend a week making note of the in-between-stuff that goes on and that really holds our lives together.
Likening this again to the Gospel, I’m reminded to live life one day at a time, finding joy in the journey. Finding the moments where God’s hand is guiding me in my life. From the simple things like finding a parking space, to even simpler instances of getting this blog post up in time; the in-between moments, God’s hand in our lives, are what make life beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I loved what you said about looking at the "in-between" parts and how they hold life together. It is hard, in our busy lives, to stop and just watch. To see with our hearts and recognize the beauty of all God's creations. I agree that it would be interesting to spend a week doing this. As I read your post it also really reminded me of meditation, opening your mind to the world around you and learning to control its impulses and wanderings. Doing this may help to take note of the in-betweens of life, perhaps this way I will be able to enjoy the "black sticky stuff".

    ReplyDelete