Monday, January 10, 2011

I often find myself comparing certain things that happen to me some days to something I've read or story I've heard. I'll think 'this reminds me of (insert name) in that one book/story (insert name)'. In this way, I am able to connect or maybe not connect to a book or story I've read. Also, when I'm reading I can try to compare my own life or experiences to better understand what I'm reading. I can analyze different characters and settings as well to better connect with it.
Analyzing a book or story without visual helps is very different for me than with a movie or book with illustrations. Without visual help, my imagination fills in the blanks and I connect in a different way than if the images are placed before me. I also analyze it differently. With a movie, television, pictures, or paintings I can compare to things I've seen in my life such as the setting or people. With books and my imagination, I provide my own view of the setting or people.
While I enjoy reading, my joy comes from watching a film or television series. I like the idea of having something unexpected happen in a television show or seeing a story unfold on screen before me. Maybe because I'm more of a visual learner. Seeing things explained through a series of pictures and visual images helps me engage more in what the story is trying to say to me and I'm still able to connect to it in my own way and maybe get a different view than someone else.
While watching a film, I'll analyze the characters individually, the setting that surrounds them, the story as a whole and also try to find a story for each character. I'll analyze certain scenes within the film and critique what was trying to be said in that individual scene versus the movie as a whole. I'll then piece each scene together to get a better understanding of what I'm learning from the story and how it affects me.
-Sarah Dayley

No comments:

Post a Comment