Monday, January 10, 2011

Raisins and Writing

As part of treatment for some cognitive problems, I have been taught a skill called "mindfulness." Mindfulness originated in Buddhism and has recently been adopted by psychologists/psychiatrists as a therapy technique. One aspect of mindfulness is to observe. An exercise that is given is to take a single raisin, observe how it looks and feels between your fingers, then put it in your mouth. Roll it around in your mouth, taking time to notice its texture, then bite into it. Be aware of the "pop" when the skin breaks, of the juices that flow into your mouth, and of the way it feels as you chew it. Studying this kind of detailed observation has made me much more a tune to things going on around me. I am much more aware of my environment in general, and when I look at things specifically, I am much more detail-oriented in my quest for information. I try to ask myself a lot of questions and take my thinking beyond what is written in the text.

I love to write. It is one of the ways I take my natural observations a step further into analysis. It is my foundational form. I require nothing more than a pen and paper, which I always keep on hand. With it, I can analyze other media sources such as film, literature, dance, and music and in so doing, create the new media piece that is formed by the words I write on the page.

2 comments:

  1. This "Mindfulness" exercise sounds so cool! I think that it would be amazingly rewarding to make that exercise a regular thing, it's like "stop and smell the roses, and then feel them, use them for garnish on your dinner plate and eat them". This would be a wonderful way to analyze text and experience life in general, it would be quite the feast. Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That exercise does sound pretty cool. I'm just making sure I understand it correctly. So, after you do it with the raisin, is the idea that you use the same amount of thoughtfulness with everything else you interact with? It does sound like a good way to kind of step back and view the world in a more broad way.

    ReplyDelete