Monday, January 10, 2011

My "Process"

When I analyze something, whether it be a film, book or some other medium, I usually begin by getting recommendations from trusted sources on what I should read/watch/whatever. As I do this, I usually get some sort of commentary from my friends/sources along the lines of "the editing was awesome" or "the author did a great job with character development." I try to keep these comments in mind as I indulge myself with said materials. I also try to keep an eye out for new things that hadn't been mentioned prior and try to glean something from the book or movie or whatever it is I watch. In terms of what provides me joy, the sunday school answers apply (Book of Mormon, D&C, etc.) as well as books jam packed with random info (like the Dan Brown books), original scripts, and the shameless stupid novel (such as Animorphs) and even some of my textbooks. I guess I really enjoy a broad range of things and am not really closed to anything within my morals. When I analyze these types of media, I try to keep in mind what other people have suggested to me as well as highlight things I find interesting. I'll usually loosely adhere to some sort of color coding technique but that doesn't always work. Many times I'm able to draw connections between interesting points and get new insights. Hope that helps!

Nick B. Dixon

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing stupid about Animorphs. It can be studied for its commentary on interracial relations and on being gifted in a normal world.

    I agree with your comments about the attached commentaries tht come with media recommendations. They can color our own interpretations if we let them. I think one of the struggles we face in a media-saturated is being able to form our own opinions before we allow the reste of the world to decide for us what we like and don't like.

    ReplyDelete