Monday, January 10, 2011

A bit of Analysis

As an individual I am very analytical. I analyze just about everything from ideas and situations to people and the weather. I enjoy figuring things out and speculating as to reasons behind particular behaviors, decisions, events, etc. While this habit of analysis is useful in the scholastic field, pertaining to analyzing literature, art, etc., I have also discovered that when I analyze in my daily life, my day-to-day activities become pieces of art and literature in and of themselves. By observing people, activities, circumstances, etc. I am able to create and enjoy stories for everyday events.
I love engaging in music, art, literature, poetry, pretty much everything I can get my hands on (excepting texting, I’ve never really been able to get a handle on that, and I’m not sure it counts as a media text anyway). I often wish I could spend more time at museums examining the artwork and watching everyday events take place. I enjoy experiencing my own process of creation as I view what others have created, each piece of the painting, poem, etc. feels like a new discovery. I love to compare and contrast pieces of art and literature. The different styles of poetry, from the simplicity of Dr. Seuss to the endless depth of T.S. Eliot, complement and bring greater meaning to each other. From their works it is interesting to compare their compositions to my own style and understanding of poetry.
In terms of art, I enjoy comparing the similarities and differences between a single artist’s various paintings. The different means of directing the viewer’s eye, composing light, color and shading compose new meanings for each painting.
As I was reading, I was able to draw a correlation between the artist’s attempts to draw the viewer’s eye through line, repetition, etc. and the Lord’s attempts to communicate to us through similar means. The Lord sends many signs and signifiers of the principles He wants His children to learn. Through repetition we learn patience, love, faith, hope and perseverance; and in the end, we are finally able to focus on the main point of the picture, our existence and exaltation.

No comments:

Post a Comment