Monday, January 17, 2011

There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's

For me, this reading had a different impact on me than I think the authors intended simply because of the arrangement and context of reading all of these pieces together. For me, the arrangement of these readings were kind of a commentary on style and the importance of having it. As Mont so aptly pointed out, 'Seeing' and 'Ode to an Orange' were essentially the same piece in reciprocal. While Seeing dealt with the extremes to which our sense of sight can be stretched to, 'Ode to an Orange' narrowed in on a specific object and explored all five senses surrounding it. Each of these stories do essentially the same thing and just go to an extreme degree of detail surrounding one concept or idea. What I took away from these stories was that the content (although great) isn't what made these readings masterpieces. What made them stand out was the style or context in which they were relayed to us. The photographs had a similar message. While the content may have been regular (or even banal to some audiences), the value resides mostly in the fashion in which the material was portrayed. The photograph of the refrigerator was the perfect example of this for me. I honestly found it bland at first glance but made a conscious effort to study each component of the photograph (which were many.) After a while I began to appreciate the time and care the artist took to rearrange certain things to emphasize the happy life in suburbia and I interpreted it as a fulfillment of the American dream. Whether or not that was the message the photographer attempted to convey is not as important as how they attempted to keep me on the same page as them. While content is a huge portion of great art, context is what really brings it to life.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely! The incredible amount of detail and exploration of the subject matter in the essays were what made them really keep my attention. I would otherwise probably not enjoy reading about eating an orange or looking at the microcosms of the woods as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete