Monday, January 24, 2011

Sucker-Punch and Milk Cows

I guess I’ll start with some honesty; these chapters came at me from a very unexpected angle. While I was reading about various means of interpreting the world, I was led to examine how I personally respond and react to life. Growing up, my family was not sympathetic in the conventional sense of the word: we were very much a “suck it up and move on” kind of family. (This was due, in part, to my dad growing up milking cows at 4 a.m. No matter how you may be feeling at 4 in the morning, you simply must get up and milk those cows. Period. Otherwise they’ll explode. Literally.) This upbringing led me to be what I am today: a stubborn optimist. I believe that no matter how dire the situation, something good can always come of it. The trick is having a determined positive attitude. This isn’t to say that being stubbornly positive prohibits you from ever feeling sad; the stubborn optimist takes time to feel sorrow, disappointment, etc. but then immediately looks for the good (or the lesson), trusting that it will be there. All of that said, I had mixed feelings about Dorothy Allison’s “This Is Our World”. It’s a marvelous essay, but I didn’t agree with the negative view at the end. Yes, the world is full of absolutely terrible things, horrific tragedies and untold sorrows; however, there is an equal amount of good, of the miraculous, and the inspiring; there has to be, it’s the law of opposition. So, while I was feeling all “up in arms” about my decidedly positive outlook on life, my views were subsequently challenged by the images in chapter seven, specifically the picture of Omayra Sanchez. I can of course apply gospel principles and talk about the eternal perspective, which are all good and true, but my initial reaction: this picture frightened me. Perhaps the reminder of the injustice that does take place in the world, and my own inability to save it, to save a friend, to save the already deceased young girl in the photo, was disheartening. As stubbornly optimistic as I wish to be, there is a reality in the other side of the law of opposition. And while my rather iron-willed optimism will continue, these chapters remind me that reality can sometimes sucker-punch my surety.

1 comment:

  1. Lizz, I barely know you but I can confidently say that I like your style. I found myself experiencing similar sentiments as I read the articles you mentioned. One thing that always helps me is realizing that as we go out and try to make films that present our views, those who "sucker punch" our beliefs probably have identical feelings when they hear what we have to say. Sometimes I think it's extremely healthy and enlightening to have different views presented to us in a way that makes us realize what we hate to realize most: that we might be wrong. But whenever this happens, I feel like the resistance strengthens our beliefs and values in a way that a reassuring old lady in our ward standing at the pulpit (as wonderful as that is) never could. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete